India is a land of tongue tickling sweet, sour and spicy chaats and there are many many varieties of it. However, out of all chaats, crispy flat puris (papdis) topped with potato, chickpeas, moong beans, onion, flavored with green chutney, sweet chutney, curd and crispy sev otherwise known as papdi chhat is best. It has a perfect combination of crunch and mouth-watering flavor of chutneys complimented by goodness of boiled potatoes, chickpeas and sprouted moongs, making it a perfect party snack.
14 Papadis (flat puri)
2/3 cup(1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) boiled Chickpeas
2/3 cup (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) boiled and chopped Potato (approx. 1 large)
1/2 cup boiled Moong Beans, optional
1/2 cup chopped Onion (approx. 1 medium)
1/2 cup Curd, lightly beaten
5 tablespoons (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) Date Tamarind Chutney
5 tablespoons (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) Green Coriander Chutney
1/2 cup Sev
Prepare all the ingredients and arrange them in the order given in ingredients before starting the assembling process. Take two deep serving plates and arrange 7-papadis in each of them. You can either keep papdis whole or lightly break them into small pieces.
Mix 2-tablespoons green chutney with chickpeas.
Top each plate with 1/3 cup potatoes and 1/4 cup onion.
Top each plate with 1/3 cup chickpeas.
Top each plate with 1/4 cup moong beans.
Drizzle 1/4 cup curd over each plate.
Drizzle 2½ tablespoons date tamarind chutney over each plate.
Lightly sprinkle 1/4 cup sev over each plate.
Top each plate with 1½ tablespoons green chutney. Papri Chaat is ready for serving. Enjoy it immediately.
Tips and Variations:
– Increase or decrease the amount of all chutneys and sev according to your preference.
– Add chopped tomato and boiled sweet corn before topping with curd for variation.
– To make it more spicy, add garlic chutney.
– You can also prepare this chaat without adding chickpeas and green moong beans.
– Papadi is easily available in grocery stores in India, you can either use ready-made ones or make it at home.
– To serve this snack in a party, prepare all chutneys and curd in advance, and store them in refrigerator. Prepare all the ingredients and keep them in separate serving bowl. Assemble plates only at the time of serving to prevent it from turning soggy.
Taste: Mild sweet, sour and spicy taste with nice crunch.
Serving Ideas: Savor this chaat as an evening snack.