Orange coloured carrots should be used for best results.
- Carrots (gajar), in thin strips (1 cup)
- Capsicum (shimla mirch), in thin strips (1 cup)
- Oil (1 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Sambar powder (1 tbsp)
- Salt to taste (1 tbsp)
- For sambar powder (:)
- Rai na kuria/split mustard seeds (6 tbsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder (5 to 7 tbsp)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (1/4 tsp)
- Mustard oil (3 tsp)
To make sambar powder:
Mix all the above ingredients except mustard oil and grind into a smooth powder. Then add in oil to the powder and store.
- Heat oil in a broad pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add hing, carrots and capsicum and mix well.
- Sauté on medium flame for a few seconds.
- Remove from flame, add sambhar powder and salt as per taste and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container.